Pharmacy of Grace:
Meeting the Need
- One in ten people in the Kansas City metro area are uninsured and as many as 40-percent are underinsured, making simple maintenance or even life-saving medications unaffordable.
- Pharmacy of Grace provides pharmacy services for patients (children, families, individuals) living at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL). For a single individual, this represents an annual income of $27,180; for a family of four, the top income level is $55,500, $13,875 per person.
- Pharmacy of Grace will provide comprehensive pharmacy services to patients providing continuity of care for serious medical conditions.
- Recent Health Equity Action Transformation (HEAT) report showed:
- 30-40% uninsured population in service area near the pharmacy
- High rate of emergency department visits to Children’s Mercy Hospital
- High rate of emergency department visits and readmissions to University of Kansas Medical Center
- Study published in the Journal of the American Pharmacists Association (J Am Pharm Assoc. 2015; 55:59–66. doi: 10.1331/JAPhA.2015.1401:
- Charitable Pharmacy model used in study reduced emergency room services or hospitalizations from a mean of 2.36 visits to 1.33 per year
- Study showed 71% of patients reported that they had increased access to health care providers including physicians, nurse practitioners and pharmacists
- Study reported prescription access rose from 41% to 85%
Vision, Mission, and Purpose
Our Vision is for all people, regardless of age, race, national origin, ethnicity, gender, religion, disability or sexual orientation, to have affordable and sustainable access to prescription medications and pharmacy services that optimize health in our community. Most of all, we will provide hope, often at very dark times.
The Purpose of Pharmacy of Grace, Inc. is to break the cycle of homelessness, poverty, school absentee days, and unemployment caused by unmanaged medical conditions. Many chronic medical conditions (such as hypertension, diabetes, congestive heart failure, asthma, COPD, bi-polar, and migraines) often go unmanaged, which eventually can cause people to seek costly medical care and possible emergency hospitalization.
The Mission of Pharmacy of Grace is to improve access to prescription medication for uninsured and underinsured individuals and to increase the number of prescription medications available to vulnerable populations in Kansas.